Free Micro-course and Association Membership
As a nonprofit with the mission of helping ethical product innovators, our recommendation for invention success starts with the basics.
- Develop a passion for innovation and creativity: Start by cultivating an interest in creating new things and solving problems. Read about successful inventors, learn about new technologies and keep an eye out for areas where current solutions are lacking.
- Gather knowledge and skills: Inventing requires a variety of skills, including knowledge of the field you want to invent in, engineering and design skills, and knowledge of how to bring a product to market. Take classes, read books, and gain practical experience through internships or hands-on projects.
- Generate ideas: Continuously generate new ideas and evaluate them by considering their feasibility and the value they would provide to others. Be open to feedback and willing to iterate on your ideas.
- Take action: Once you have a solid idea, take the necessary steps to bring it to life. This could include creating prototypes, filing patents, and seeking funding.
- Network: Build relationships with other inventors, entrepreneurs, and industry experts. They can provide valuable feedback, support, and connections to help you bring your invention to market.
- Persevere: Inventing is not a linear process, and it can be filled with obstacles and setbacks. Stay persistent and resilient. Learn from your mistakes and don’t give up on your idea if it doesn’t pan out the first time.
The pathway to successful product innovation is changing in key ways. Modern market research tools, AI-assisted design, rapid prototyping, and direct-to-consumer sales are technologies the modern innovator should at least be aware of.